We seem to have avoided major changes in 2012: no new/revised SIPs, no significant changes to legislation… does that mean it is all being stored up for 2013?
Here are a few developments that I’ll be looking out for next year:
• A Ministerial review on IPs’ fees – preliminary report expected in April 2013 with final recommendations in June 2013: http://bis.gov.uk/insolvency/insolvency-profession/review-of-ip-fees
• Changes to the RPBs’ complaints systems, including common sanctions guidance and an Insolvency Service-hosted site for lodging complaints and for publicising sanctions: http://insolvency.presscentre.com/Press-Releases/Jo-Swinson-announces-insolvency-fees-review-and-single-complaints-gateway-6853e.aspx
• HM Treasury’s review of the Special Administration regime for investment banks – report to the Treasury by the end of January 2013 with a fuller report expected by end of June 2013: http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/press_124_12.htm
• Changes to collective redundancy legislation… will there be any reference to any insolvency exemptions? Draft regulations expected in the New Year, to come into effect on 6 April 2013: http://news.bis.gov.uk/Press-Releases/Boost-for-business-as-government-sets-out-plans-to-update-employment-legislation-68512.aspx
• Progression of the Enterprise & Regulatory Reform Bill – currently at the House of Lord Committee stage: http://discuss.bis.gov.uk/enterprise-bill/
• Outcome of the Red Tape Challenge on insolvency – Insolvency Service to set out proposals to be considered by Ministers in early 2013: Dear IP 56 (not yet posted to the Service’s website)
• Revised SIP3 and SIP16 to be issued for consultation (per IPA autumn roadshows)?
• Development of the Scottish Government’s plans for bankruptcy law reform: http://www.aib.gov.uk/news/releases/2012/11/scottish-government%E2%80%99s-response-consultation-bankruptcy-law-reform
• The Charitable Incorporated Organisations (Insolvency and Dissolution) Regulations 2012 come into force on 2 January 2013 (thanks to Jo Harris for pointing these out) – I guess they are what they are, but I would like to see a user-friendly summary of them: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/3013/pdfs/uksi_20123013_en.pdf
• The Financial Services Act comes into force on 1 April 2013… with what direct impact on IPs? I confess that it is not something that I know a lot about, but I do know that from it is created the Financial Conduct Authority, which (from 1 April 2014) will take on consumer credit regulation from the OFT so it may well affect IPs’ (and RPBs’ group) consumer credit licences: http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/press_126_12.htm
• And further afield, changes to the EC’s 2000 Insolvency Regulations (although perhaps further away than 2013?): http://ec.europa.eu/justice/newsroom/civil/news/121212_en.htm
Have I missed anything, do you think..?
I’ll also take this opportunity to mention that I reproduce my blog posts into pdfs every couple of months or so – I have added these to a new page on this blog, but I email them direct to those who have asked. If you would like to be added to this emailing list, please drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. I have also started on twitter (@mbmoving); I am a complete novice, but I am hoping to use it to make immediate reference to news items on subjects such as those above (but I’ll continue to blog). Finally, I have given my blog a new look for the New Year – a photos from my trip to Patagonia in January 2012.
Have a lovely few days/weeks off, everyone, and I hope I get to meet up with some of you again sometime in the next year, when I emerge finally from all my unpleasant experiences of 2012.